CNC router constructed with a neighbor from 23/32" plywood, 3/4" MDF (base), 1" black pipe, 608 bearings, angle, dumpstercnc.com anti-backlash nuts, 1/2"-10 ACME and 1/4"-20 threaded rod, 230oz NEMA23 steppers, IMS 483 micro-stepping controllers, 32VDC supply, and Chinese motor couplers. Tool-paths with clearance, dog-ears, and 2.5D bearing truck supports in Aspire and cut on Vision 5252 table controlled by Mach3. 3/8" threaded rod welded to bearing trucks provide slight adjustment of tension and alignment. 1/4" bolts, threaded rod, nuts, washers, and sheet rock screws throughout. Shims behind bearing truck supports and mounts for flange bearings were later re-cut from acrylic. Y pipes and lower gantry will be soon be replaced with dual pipes on torsion box similar to X axis (updated file will be included at that point in this collection). Heavy and slow (60 IPM rapids with 2A limit to steppers while testing) but reasonably rigid and accurate for a 2 to 3 hundred dollar machine built from wood, running on skate bearings and pipe, and motion/control parts from junk box. Mounts for Craftsman router and (pictured) disposable Harbor Freight trim router. See upload with same name in collection for a photo of nearly complete machine. We started with jgro design, so table might look familiar, but went in other directions. 2nd set of trucks on Y keeps pipes spreading, which allowed single trucks trucks to ride lower, which increased error in Z direction when pipes deflect.
Update: Bearing blocks and motor mounts might require vertical and/or horizontal adjustment (enlarge mounting holes or re-cut) to line up with anti-backlash nut on each axis depending on accuracy of cuts, material, shims behind bearing trucks, and final assembly. We used nuts and washers under motors instead of pictured spacers....
Update2: $9 motor controllers (http://www.banggood.com/TB6600-Upgraded-Version-32-Segments-4A-42V-5786-Stepper-Motor-Driver-p-981997.html) based on recently updated Toshiba 6600 series modules. Commercial 24V/5V DC power supply adjusted to 31V output. Generic break out board.
Update3: Design and construction of version 2 in progress. Will be lighter, faster, tighter, cheaper to build, and lower part count. Comment or contact with suggestions or recommendations. Posting recently constructed mount for a different (slightly smaller diameter) Craftsman router.
Update4: Machine in constant use by neighbor. Only issue to date was having to replace HDPE Z anti-backlash nut with one made from phenolic resin. Neighbor bought rough/coated threaded rods and homemade ABN's were used instead of destorying dumpstercnc nuts.
Update: Don't build this machine! The design was based on something neighbor found online, others said it "worked", and build was driven by his desires instead of common sense :( The final cost likely exceeded that of a kit based on belts, plastic wheels, and light duty extrusions.
Looking back, we should have used cabinet grade plywood and made all parts lighter. Currently cuts apx. 40IPM using pictured junk/tiny HF trim router.
#608 #cnc #cnc_router #DIY #jgro #mdf #plywood #router