Παναγιά Παραπορτιανή, Μύκονος - Panagia Paraportiani, Mykonos

Παναγιά Παραπορτιανή, Μύκονος - Panagia Paraportiani, Mykonos

MaNo ΠaN
The church received the name “Paraportiani” because it can be reached by the side door that belonged to the medieval castle of Mykonos. Its name literally means “Our Lady of the Side Gate” in Greek, as its entrance was found in the side gate of the entrance to the Kastro area. The building of this church started in 1425 and was not completed until the 17th century. This impressive, whitewashed church actually consists of five other churches attached all together: the four churches are all on the ground and constitute the base of the fifth church that has been built on top of them. This architectural spottiness has made Panagia Paraportiani the most photographed church in Greece and one of the strangest in the world! #3dbyMan #aegean #church #cyclades #mediterranean #white_washed
Default Title