Berkeley Power Station, Gloucestershire

Berkeley Power Station, Gloucestershire

TRM DA
Description
Berkeley Power Station is a nuclear power station which is currently being decommissioned. It was the worlds first commercial nuclear power station and was built on a site of 27 Hectares. Construction began in 1956 and it started operating in 1962. It had two Magnox reactors producing 276 megawatts (MW) in total. It generated enough electricity on a typical day to serve an urban area the size of Bristol. The reactors were Natural Uranium as fuel and was cooled by Carbon Dioxide gas. Each reactor had 3,275 fuel channels which each contained 13 fuel elements. Each reactor had 132 control rods. It had 4 turbo generators and produced 43TWh. It drew cooling water from the Severn. Reactor 2 was shut down in October 1988, followed by Reactor 1 in March 1989. All fuel was removed from the site between 1989 & 1992 and the demolition of structures such as the turbine hall was in 1995. The cooling ponds were demolished in 2001. It was recently blocked up it now has to be left for radiation levels to reach a safe level. It currently has 209 employees. #Berkeley #commercial #decommissioned #first #Gloucestershire #magnox #nuclear #Power #reactor #Severn #Station #TRM_DA
Default Title