Te Puna o Waiwhetu, Christchurch, NZ

Te Puna o Waiwhetu, Christchurch, NZ

ZNO
Description
Christchurch Art Gallery Te Puna o Waiwhetu opened on 10 May, 2003 in the heart of the city's cultural precinct, bounded by Worcester Boulevard, Gloucester and Montreal Streets. The new $47.5 million facility features two floors of exhibition space, two educational activity areas, an auditorium, a café and wine bar, two retail outlets, a Sculpture Garden and underground parking. The name ‘Te Puna’ honours waipuna, the well spring (the actual artesian spring on the site) and ‘Waiwhetu’ refers to one of the tributaries in the immediate vicinity, which flows into the Avon River. ‘Waiwhetu’ may also be translated as ‘water in which stars are reflected’. The largest art institution in the South Island, the Gallery replaces the Robert McDougall Art Gallery (est. 1932) as the home of one of New Zealand’s most important public art collections. #224099 #30102 #Art #Christchurch #Gallery
Default Title