St John's Church

St John's Church

Wolfgang
Description
St John's Anglican Church stands in the spacious, paved and treed surrounds of St John's Square in the centre of Fremantle. On 11 March 1839 a request was made to the Governor to set aside St John's Square, as the site for an Anglican Church. This was granted to the Church authorities in 1840. The following year the first Rector, the Reverend George King, took up duties. The Church is built of limestone walls, generally of random rubble with raised cement pointing but with square cut stonework at the buttresses. The smooth flagstones surrounding the church were brought to Fremantle as ship's ballast. The bell turret was added in 1906 or early 1907. #Fremantle #St_Johns_Church
Category
Default Title