Lerwick Power Station, Shetland Islands

Lerwick Power Station, Shetland Islands

TRM DA
Lerwick A opened in 1953, followed in 1996 by Lerwick B. Electricity is produced by burning heavy and medium fuel oil, with some diesel being used to start the generators. There are nine generators and two gas turbines at the station. Some of the present generators are 40 years old and were due for decommissioning in 2000. There are six fuel storage tanks, containing from 300 tonnes to 3,800 tonnes of oil, giving a total of 12,750 tonnes of oil on site. The bulk fuel is delivered by marine tanker and pumped along a supply pipeline between the quayside and the power station. It is currently run by Scottish Hydro Electric. #Breesay_Sound #Chimney #gas_fired #Gremista #Harbour #Lerwick #oil_fired #Port #Power_Station #Scotland #Scottish_Hydro_Electric #Shetland_Islands #TRM_DA
Default Title