Modeled with Building Maker by Wade Roush. Originally known as the St. James Hotel, the structure was built in 1867-1868 for Matarin Ballou, the editor of "Ballou's PIctorial," according to "Victorian Boston Today: Twelve Walking Tours" by Mary Melvin Petronella and Edward W. Gordon. U.S. President Ulysses S. Grant stayed in the hotel in 1869. From 1882 to 1901 the building was home to the New England Conservatory of Music, and from 1901 to 1970 it was known as Franklin Square House, a non-profit hotel for young working women. Today the building provides apartments for senior citizens. It enjoyed brief fame in the 1980s as the exterior for the fictional hospital St. Eligius in the NBC drama "St. Elsewhere" (1982-1988).