The first part of Sweeney Hall, nicknamed Old Sweeney, was constructed in 1927. It was named for Orland Russell Sweeney, head of the chemical engineering department from 1920 to 1947. In 1964 an addition was put on Sweeney Hall adding many more classrooms and offices. The third and final addition was built in 1994 on the West end of Sweeney Hall. Today Sweeney Halls 109,540 square feet is home to Chemical Engineering, Biological Engineering, and Industrial/ Manufacturing Systems Engineering, as well as the Iowa State University Solar Car Team, Team PrISUm, and The Gaffers Guild, one of the more popular clubs on campus. A few of the labs in Sweeney Hall include: Thermal analysis, Low and High Resolution Mass Spectrometers, Flow Cytometry, DNA Sequencing-Synthesis Facility, and Laser Doppler Particle Image Velocimetry. This model was completed by Benjamin Schwartz.