Downtown Public Library

Downtown Public Library

Davenport GIS
Description
The first public library in Davenport was built in 1904 using various funding, including a $75,000 donation from Andrew Carnegie. After becoming outdated and dilapidated, the Carnegie building was torn down in 1966. "Through the efforts of Library Board president C.D. Waterman, Jr., internationally known architect Edward Durrell Stone, who also designed the Kennedy Center in Washington, DC agreed to design the new library building. The new building design included a large open ground floor with a mezzanine and integrated the new children's wing. The new Davenport Public Library building was dedicated and opened October, 6 1968. While some changes have been made in the interior layout, the library building continues to serve the ever-changing library needs of Davenport citizens." (www.qcmemory.org) #Davenport #Edward_Durrell_Stone #Iowa #Library
Default Title