Acton Court, Iron Acton, South Gloucestershire

Acton Court, Iron Acton, South Gloucestershire

TRM DA
Description
Acton Court is a restored Tudor house on Latteridge Lane, Iron Acton, South Gloucestershire. The Poyntz family owned the property from 1364 until 1680. Nicholas Poyntz added the East Wing onto the existing moated manor house shortly before 1535. Construction took about 9 months to complete. Subsequently, the wing was lavishly and fashionably decorated to impress Henry VIII. The king and his second wife, Anne Boleyn, stayed in the house in 1535, during a tour of the West Country. When the direct line of succession ended in 1680, the house was sold. It was reduced in size and converted for use as a tenanted farmhouse. Due to neglect, the house gradually fell into a dilapidated state. Prior to the restoration, English Heritage commissioned a comprehensive study. #Acton_Court #Bristol #English_Heritage #farmhouse #Henry_VIII #Iron_Acton #Poyntz #South_Gloucestershire #TRM_DA #Tudor
Default Title