West Hartford Library

West Hartford Library

Creating Hartford
Description
West Hartford Library The original West Hartford Library was built along the opposite side of Route 14 in 1922. Five years later the flood of 1927 destroyed the small brick library building. At the time this was the most devastating flood recorded in the state of Vermont. During the flood houses and barns were completely destroyed, including landowners V.W. Wilkinson and Guy A. Place’s home. A group of citizens from Hartford Connecticut organized a fund raising campaign to furnish the village with another library. Several citizens were known as the “Hartford to Hartford Committee” members. The land that V.W. Wilkinson and Guy A. Place had previously resided was the selected location for the new library. Wilkinson and Place deeded the land to the “Hartford to Hartford Committee” on November 24, 1928. The library was built shortly after and a marker was placed beside the building with this passage inscribed: MEMORIAL LIBRARY Given by The People of Hartford, Conn. after the flood November 1927 Nadine Hodgdon: "The first library was built on the opposite side of the road and was not very old when the Flood of 1927 destroyed it. Citizens of West Hartford Connecticut gave the new building." #Hartford #Junction #Library #River #West #White
Default Title