The Undergraduate Library traces its roots to 1949 when the University's Galesburg branch closed and its 25,000 volumes were placed in the Library's first floor reading room. Ten years later, the topic of the third President's Faculty Conference was "The Undergraduate Climate at the University", and the outcome of that retreat at Allerton Park was a resolution to construct an undergraduate library.
On September 21, 1966 that resolution became a reality with the groundbreaking of the new Undergraduate Library, followed by its dedication three years later on November 15, 1969. Built around a 72 by 72 foot square central courtyard, the two-story 98,689 square foot library has a capacity of 150,000 volumes and seats 1,899, with 166 lounge chairs, 542 4x6 foot tables, and 1,191 study carrels. The University anticipated very heavy use of the new facility and so provided twin 26 by 72 foot entrances with circulation desks, allowing books to be checked out in either one. Today only one of the entrances is in use. #Library #Undergraduate #University_of_Illinois