Hilton Coliseum

Hilton Coliseum

csc
The Hilton Coliseum opened its doors on December 2, 1971. The building, named for James H. Hilton, president of Iowa State University from 1953 to 1965, is home to the Cyclones basketball, gymnastics, volleyball and wrestling teams and has hosted 12 NCAA events in its history. As well as sports, the facility also hosts commencements, concerts, conventions, and other assemblies. The arena was designed by the two firms Crites & McConnell and Brooks Borg & Skiles as part of the Iowa State Center and was meant to replace the former athletics building, State Gymnasium, and Clyde Williams Stadium. All of the Coliseums entrances are located on elevated walkways to minimize the conflict between pedestrians and vehicles. The building just broke its capacity of 14,092 in 1971, when it saw a record basketball crowd of 15,000 for Iowa State's 97-94 win over Iowa. In the summer of 2006, renovations were made, such as a new Daktronics scoreboard, which further increased its rank among the nation's top arenas. This model was completed by Benjamin Schwartz. #Cyclones #Hilton
Default Title