Pullman Palace Car Works: The Allen Paper Wheel Company

Pullman Palace Car Works: The Allen Paper Wheel Company

J. Wallace
The Allen Paper Wheel Company was the first building built on the Pullman site. It opened in 1880, for the production of the 'paper wheel;' a type of railroad car wheel made of compressed (lacquered) paper on a steel rim and hub. Paper wheels gave a smooth ride to the Palace Cars, until they were banned from intermodal use in 1915. Thereafter, the company shut down, and the building was co-opted by the Pullman Works for use as a storage facility. It was torn down in the 1950s. (Request addition for architectural continuity) #1800s #America #Beman #Calumet #car #Chicago #Cottage_Grove #diesel #District #engine #Express #fire #Gothic #Illinois #Lake #Lincoln #Michigan #Midwest #North #Palace #Polar #Pole #Pullman #rail #railroad #railway #renovation #restoration #revival #road #Romanesque #States #steam #strike #train #union #United #Victorian
Default Title