Two Mile House - Cumberland County Historical Society, Carlisle, PA

Two Mile House - Cumberland County Historical Society, Carlisle, PA

Ron Hall 76
Description
This magnificent Federal limestone residence was built in 1820 when the Walnut Bottom Road served as a busy thoroughfare for travelers, merchants and farmers plying their trade. From 1826 to 1857 it served as The James Given Tavern. Many a weary traveler stopped here for lodging and simple food. Two Mile House, so-named because of its distance from the town square, contains 12 rooms, 10 with fireplaces which feature Doric-style pilasters and a central panel with oval medallion. The floor plan of the main block consists of a central passage flanked by double parlors. A kitchen ell on the first floor has a large cooking fireplace. The central passage is dominated by an open staircase. #Carlisle #LoveCarlislecom #museum #Pennsylvania #Stone_house #tavern
Default Title