First Baptist Peddie Memorial Church, Newark

First Baptist Peddie Memorial Church, Newark

Luke Potenza
First Baptist Peddie Memorial Church was first organized on June 6, 1801, by a small group of believers seeking to open a place of worship in the town of Newark, with the name of "First Baptist Church of Newark." On the first day of organization, several new believers were baptized in the beautiful Passaic River, and on the next day, June 7, 1801, the Lord's Day, the entire membership of fourteen sat down at the communion table for the first time as a church. Services were held in the White School house, located on South Broad Street and the junction of Clinton Avenue and Spruce Street. In February of 1802, Elder Charles Lahatt was unanimously called to be the first pastor. The first meeting house, only 35 by 45 feet, was dedicated to God on August 1805. #baptist #church #first #god #jersey #jesus #mass #memorial #new #newark
Default Title