Lækjargata 4, Reykjavik , relocated at The Reykjavík City Museum.

Lækjargata 4, Reykjavik , relocated at The Reykjavík City Museum.

St.Pall
The house was built by Reykjavik brook in 1852 by carpenter G. Ahrenz. Bishop Helgi Thordersen bought the house in 1856, to replace the former bishop’s residence at Laugarnes. In 1876 mercant Þorlákur Ó. Johnson and his wife Ingibjörg bought the house. After his death she took over the business and became one of the first women in retailing in Iceland. The Reykjavík Union of Shop and Office Workers was founded here in 1891, and the seamen’s union Báran in 1894. The house was built in the neo-classical style. Lækjargata 4 was moved to the museum at Arbaer (Árbær) in the autumn of 1988 ......¬-The Reykjavík City Museum-….. collects and conserves objects from Reykjavík cultural history and carries out research on them, and promulgates knowledge of the history and living conditions of the people of Reykjavík from the Settlement Age to the present day. Arbaer (Árbær) was an established farm well into the 20th century, and The Reykjavik City Museum opened there in 1957. Arbaer is now an open air museum with more than 20 buildings which form a town square, a village and a farm. Most of the buildings have been relocated from central Reykjavik. #antiques #Arbaearsafn #Arbaer #building #fornminjar #Iceland #Kukl_on_Earth #Kukl_á_Jörð #minjar #minjasafn_Reykjavíkur #museum #New_Iceland #Nýja_Ísland #Reykjavik #Reykjavík #safn #St_Pall #St_Peter #The_Reykjavik_City_Museum #The_Reykjavík_City_Museum #timber #timber_house #timbur #timburhús #Árbæjarsafn #Árbær #Ísland
Default Title