Palace on the Dam
Description
The palace on Dam square was built as a new city hall, to replace the previous one which had burnt down. The first piling was put in place in 1648. The architect was Jacob van Campen, with technical execution by Daniël Stalpaert. The building was completed in 1665 and reflected the wealth of the city. The building functioned as the city hall until 1808 and was then turned into a palace by King Lodewijk Napoleon. During the twentieth century the building underwent restoration a number of times. After a restoration in 1960 parts of the building were then opened to the public. Currently the palace is mainly used for official functions. #Amsterdam #dam #koniklijk #paleis
Default Title