Culpeper County Courthouse (Mk. 2) and Related Buildings, Culpeper, VA

Culpeper County Courthouse (Mk. 2) and Related Buildings, Culpeper, VA

John W.
The Culpeper County Courthouse was built in 1870, replacing a building from 1809 located at the northeast corner of Main and Davis Streets. At $65,000, it was very expensive in this era of Reconstruction. The next component in this one-block ensemble was the Old Jail, built in 1909 (the modern jail, at the rear of the building, was added much later). The Municipal Building was added in the 1920s to house the Fire Department, and the Office Building came into being in the later part of the 20th century. The cupola in the Courthouse had windows installed during World War 2, when it served as a watch tower in case of air raids. #arrest #borough #civil #county #court #court_house #courthouse #fire #fire_hall #fire_house #firehouse #flame #hall #house #incarceration #jail #municipal #northern #prison #reconstruction #seat #tower #town #victorian #virginia #war
Default Title