Williamstown Institute

Williamstown Institute

geofftown
On this site in the early 1860’s this building was a grain store and when the Council was looking for meeting rooms, the building was purchased for £170.00 and then was upgraded in 1868 by the addition of two rooms for a cost of £206.00. In 1884 a portico and verandah was erected in front. It was further upgraded in 1907 when the east wall was moved twelve feet to widen the hall and the building was re-roofed. The two story facade that you see today was completed in 1924. The building was renamed the “District Soldiers Memorial Institute” and officially opened, amidst great pomp and ceremony, in 1924. There was once a resident band, the “Williamstown Band” which played for dances and social occasions. The place was lit by gas-lights in the early days. The piano was played here for silent movies in the 1920’s. There was a regular Saturday night picture show in Williamstown Hall until the 1960’s when television took over. The last film to be shown here was “Tammy and the River Boat.
Default Title