Architect: Rudolf Frey
date of construction: 1878 – 1898
length: 175m / original 224m
height: 8m -17m
owner: municipality of Vienna
In May 1877 the “Gemeinderat der königlichkaiserlichen Reichshaupt- und Residenzstadt Wien“, the city administration, decided to build a slaughterhouse complex. The “Rinderhalle”, which means hall of cows, was the central building of the complex and was used as a structure for keeping cows.
World War II caused enormous damages, but the slaughterhouse complex got rebuilt. In the course of the construction of the city autobahn of Vienna the hall`s length was reduced from 224m to 175m.
In the middle of the 1970s the hall became less important and it got out of business. In 1975 the city administration made plans to demolish the hall because of the lack of public interests. But those plans were not accomplished because parts of the Viennese habitants protested against the demolition and wanted to rededicate the slaughterhouse complex to a cultural center. The hall got preserved, but it did not get a new use.
In 1997 the hall was placed under a preservation order.
Modelled by Lukas Herndl