The stadium honors Wilbert James (Nick) Carter (1902-1972) Harry Clifton Carter (1908-1990) and Albert Earle Finley (1895-1985). The two Carter brothers graduated from NC State from the school of Textiles and became top executives in the J. P. Stevens Company. They contributed several hundred thousand dollars to fundraising for completion of the stadium. In 1937 the Carter brothers formed their own company Carter Fabrics of Greensboro and merged with the J.P. Stevens Corporation. The family was particularly involved with support of the NC State school of textiles. NC State awarded an honorary Doctor of Textile Science degree to Nick Carter in 1943.