Texas & Pacific Station

Texas & Pacific Station

JeremyKShort
Description
The current Texas & Pacific Station building was built by the Texas and Pacific Railway opened on October 25, 1931. It was designed in the Zigzag Moderne Art Deco style popular at the time. The station declined along with the rest of the Lancaster Avenue area when the elevated portion of Interstate 30 was built in 1958, effectively separating the area from downtown. The railroad vacated the terminal in 1967 when passenger service in Fort Worth ended and the Department of Housing and Urban Development became the exclusive tenant from the early 1970s until the late 1990s. The passenger area of the station, which had not been occupied by HUD and was virtually untouched since 1967, was restored to its former beauty in 1999 at a cost of $1.4 million. Passenger service resumed at Texas & Pacific station on December 3, 2001 with the TRE's extension into Fort Worth. The destruction of the elevated highway in 2002 opened the Lancaster Avenue area for redevelopment. The upper floors of the T&P station have been renovated and are available for purchase as condominiums. #Fort_Worth #TX
Default Title