South Stack Lighthouse - Anglesey, Wales

South Stack Lighthouse - Anglesey, Wales

squarefountain
The lighthouse has warned passing ships of the treacherous rocks below since its completion in 1809. The 28 m (91ft) lighthouse was designed by Daniel Alexander and the main light is visible to passing vessels for 28 miles, and was designed to allow safe passage for ships on the treacherous Dublin - Holyhead - Liverpool sea route. It provides the first beacon along the northern coast of Anglesey for east-bound ships. The lighthouse is operated remotely by Trinity House. Until 1828 when an iron suspension bridge was built, the only means of crossing the deep water channel on to the island was in a basket which was suspended on a hemp cable. The suspension bridge was replaced in 1964, but by 1983 the bridge had to be closed to the public, due to safety reasons. A new aluminium bridge was built and the lighthouse was reopened for public visits in 1997. There are over 400 stone steps down to the footbridge (and not, as local legend suggests, 365). #Anglesey #Beacon #Holyhead #Island #Lighthouse #South_Stack #UK #Wales
Default Title