Memorial Hall, Melbourne Grammar School

Memorial Hall, Melbourne Grammar School

RAIA
Description
The ‘Old Melbournians War Memorial Hall’ was opened on November 11 1928 to honour the members of the Melbourne Grammar School community who gave their lives and service in the Boer and First World Wars. The Memorial Hall is the gathering place for a great many student activities and is regarded as the heart of the School as music and the performing arts hold a central part in the cultural life of the School community. The Memorial Hall has been extensively refurbished and extended to provide facilities for Music and the Performing Arts, as well as general School use. New accommodation includes a significantly expanded basement for storage, back-of-house under stage areas, a Music Studio and rehearsal space as well as improved stage size and drama performance facilities. Given severe site and heritage constraints, most of the new space has been provided underground, except for a modest addition to extend the stage and wings. The development of the western extension has allowed the opportunity to relocate the Bromby Street driveway to align axially with the Witherby Tower and South Quadrangle and so improve the vista and entrance from the south. The Memorial Hall complex has been transformed into a worthy new home for the Performing Arts, Music and the life of the School community in general. #2006 #architecture #Australia #awards #Heritage #institute #Melbourne_Grammar_School #Memorial_Hall #Peter_Elliott #RAIA #VIC
Default Title