The Greenough Block was constructed sometime between 1908 and 1917 (the first time it appeared on an insurance map), leaving many to believe the Block was constructed circa 1910. Located on the southwest corner of Gates and South Main Street, the three-story brick commercial building is set literally on the edge of both streets. The main building is of load-bearing, brick masonry construction. Currently, the main building is being used as both an apartment complex, as well as Forest B’s pool hall. Sharing a party wall on South Main Street, is the vacant lot where Aubuchon Hardware used to be. Sharing a party wall on Gates Street is the restaurant The Filling Station. The building runs parallel to Gates Street, and is not a complete square, as the building’s corner is skewed in line with the angled street corner of Gates and South Main Street. The main building is a three-bay by five-bay footprint and has a flat roof. On both the Gates Street and South Main Street friezes there are bronze letters spelling “Greenough”. The building was built in replacement of a c. 1885 two and a half story wood frame front-gable store, also called the Greenough Block. The c. 1910 building is believed to be constructed by Frank Greenough, who was listed as the lodging house proprietor in the 1920’s. At first, the building was a boardinghouse with first story commercial establishments.
Special thanks to National Register of Historic Places & The Hartford Historical Society