Curtis Hall was named for Charles Curtis Who served four decades in Congress and as vice president in the Hoover administration. He was the speaker at the dedication of Curtis Hall. He was born in Topeka Kansas on January 25 1860. He was part Kaw Indian on his mothers side and was on the tribal rolls. He was admitted to the bar in 1881 and began his law practice in Topeka. At the age of 24 he was elected county attorney and is reported to have closed every saloon in his jurisdiction with a month under the laws of Kansas his native state and kept them closed the four years he was prosecuting attorney. He was married in 1884. In 1892 he ran for Republican Representative in Congress from Kansas and was elected. He served as a member of Congress from 1893 to 1909 resigning his seat in the 60th Congress to become United States Senator which office he held until 1928. From 1929 to 1933 as Vice President under Herbert Hoover he had the distinction of being the first western man to hold that office. He retired from public life in 1932; he died in 1936. It is used as the campus dining center.