Cardale Consolidated School was built in 1915, in the village of Cardale in the Rural Municipality of Blanshard. It consolidated the existing Cardale School No. 1763, established in late 1914, with two schools from the surrounding rural area: Ravens Glen School No. 687 and Roselawn School No. 1099. Initially a two-classroom, two-storey brick veneer structure constructed by Sam Irving of Newdale and Tom Jenkins of Cardale, two classrooms were added in 1919, on the east side of a bell tower in the centre.
The school was used until June 1969, by which time it had been absorbed into the Rolling River School Division. The building was used as a community centre and, in 1973, it was leased for $1 to the Canadian Association of Mental Retardates for use as a training facility called Rolling Dale Workshop which operated until the early 1990s when it moved to the Town of Rivers. In 2002, the building was purchased by the RM of Blanshard. A monument nearby, erected at a school reunion on 5 July 1981, commemorates Cardale School and the rural schools that were consolidated into it.
After community members raised safety concerns about the deteriorating state of the vacant building, it was demolished on 17 October 2013.
#cardale_school #ecole #schule