Smiðshús , Reykjavik , relocated at The Reykjavík City Museum.

Smiðshús , Reykjavik , relocated at The Reykjavík City Museum.

St.Pall
Smiðshús (the Smith’s House) is one of the most important houses in the Árbær collection. One of Reykjavík’s oldest surviving houses, it has a long and interesting history. It was built in 1823-25 on a site adjacent to Reykjavík Cathedral. Smiðshús was the first building to be moved to the Árbær museum site, in 1960. The appearance and material of the building are largely original. In restoration of the building, efforts have been made to conserve original materials as far as possible. ......¬-The Reykjavík City Museum-….. collects and conserves objects from Reykjavík cultural history and carries out research on them, and promulgates knowledge of the history and living conditions of the people of Reykjavík from the Settlement Age to the present day. Arbaer (Árbær) was an established farm well into the 20th century, and The Reykjavik City Museum opened there in 1957. Arbaer is now an open air museum with more than 20 buildings which form a town square, a village and a farm. Most of the buildings have been relocated from central Reykjavik. #antiques #Arbaearsafn #Arbaer #building #fornminjar #Iceland #Kukl_on_Earth #Kukl_á_Jörð #minjar #minjasafn_Reykjavíkur #museum #New_Iceland #Nýja_Ísland #Reykjavik #Reykjavík #safn #St_Pall #St_Peter #The_Reykjavik_City_Museum #The_Reykjavík_City_Museum #timber #timber_house #timbur #timburhús #Árbæjarsafn #Árbær #Ísland
Default Title