Completed in 1929, shortly after much of the city was destroyed in the 1925 earthquake, the Santa Barbara County Courthouse remains the grandest icon of Spanish Colonial Revival architecture. The courthouse occupies an entire city block, composed of 4 buildings totaling 140,000 square feet surrounding sunken gardens. The complex's beauty and Hispanic heritage make it a popular location for festivals, outdoor entertainment, and weddings. Due to strict building height limitations imposed in and around downtown Santa Barbara, the "El Mirador" clock tower has nearly unobstructed 360° views of the surrounding city, much of which derives its architectural style from the courthouse itself.
The Santa Barbara County Courthouse is a National Historic Landmark.
National Register Number: 81000177 #clock_tower #courthouse #National_Historic_Landmark #Santa_Barbara #Spanish_Colonial_Revival