Old Main - The Pennsylvannia State University

Old Main - The Pennsylvannia State University

Ron Hall 76
Old Main, originally called "Main Building" and first built in 1863, was the first major building of The Pennsylvania State University. Built over a six year period with limestone quarried from the land directly in front of it, the structure was designed by Hugh McAllister and contained classrooms, laboratories, offices, a chapel, and residential space for 400 students. The limestone was carried in part by a mule named Old Coaly, whose bones were subsequently preserved and became a sort of mascot to the school. (Coaly's bones are currently on display in the Hetzel Union Building.) After being deemed structurally unsound in the 1920s, the building was razed in 1929 and rebuilt in 1930. The new building, occupying the same footprint as the previous structure and incorporating some of its limestone, was christened "Old Main". The building cost $837,000, most of which was paid for by state appropriations and an emergency building fund campaign. Between 1940 and 1949, Henry Varnum Poor utilized the fresco style to paint large murals (over 1300 ft²) on the second floor of Old Main that depict Penn State's land grant history. Today, Old Main serves as the administrative center of Penn State, housing the offices of the president and other officials. This model dedicated to PSU Turf Program Class of 1991, of which the modeler is a member. #administration #campus #college #Old_Main #Penn_State #school #university
Default Title