The Church of the Holy Cross was built originally at the end of 15th century to a fransiscan monastery. In 1538, during the reign of Gustaf Vasa and at the time of the reformation the monks were banished and the monastery was converted to bear its current name.
The church has been expanded throughout the history, and e.g. the current tower was built in 1816 with the stones taken from the ruins of the Church of Holy Trinity. The white-chalked upper part of the tower functioned as a landmark for the seafarers on the seas of Gulf of Bothnia.
The paintings on the roof of the choir have been made during the bishop Arvi Kurki at the beginning of the 16th century and they represent biblical events. The church organ was originally built in 1786 and currently what is left of it is the wooden facade. Current organ was made in 1966. Church and its paintings were renewed in 1891. From that time comes the fixed interior parts, like the benches. From the north-facing roof can be seen the figure 1950 that marks the year when the chip roof was renewed.
The church is currently in active use by the congregation and it is also part of the Old Rauma area, thus it is also a markable tourist attraction. The church has 800 seats. #attraction #Church #cross #Fransiscan #Holy #Kirkko #Monastery #Old #Rauma #Vanha #Wanha