Clifton Rocks Railway (top station)

Clifton Rocks Railway (top station)

PaulMay
This is the top station of the water-powered 'funicular' railway which opened on 11 March, 1893 and operated for 40 years to bring wealthy Victorians up from the River Avon below to the spa rooms and Avon orge Hotel at the top of the cliff. It closed in 1934, but then became a secret broadcasting base for the BBC during WW2. It has been empty and disused since the BBC moved out after the war, although 'The Clifton Rocks Railway Trust' has recently been formed by a group of volunteers to restore the Railway. [Because they share some common walls and structures, this model is best viewed as part of the 3-piece set including the Avon Gorge Hotel, Pump Rooms and Rocks Railway] #Funicular_railway_station
Default Title