The Church of Hallum

The Church of Hallum

Jan Hendrik Fennema
Description
The strong church, most likely dedicated to Saint- Martin, stands on the northeast side of the large, hemed by dense low buildings, atmospheric cemetery. The nave has on both the north and south side angled extensions of chapels. The northern is by far the oldest, of Around 1100, it was in 1155 restored, after fire. There are sections where a tuff wall being climbed by arched friezes. The east wall had originally recess and was in the 16th century, along with the hood renewed. The nave is at the end of the 13th century and will show some Romano-Gothic aspects. The large pointed arch windows in the north and south wall are profiled with bead profiles reveal that as niches run through to the ground. Even at the enlarged window with reveal of alternating red and yellow bricks, shows the shape of a niche. #Church #Ferwerd #Ferwert #Friesland #Fryslan #Hallum #janhin #Kerk #Nederland #Netherlands #Tsjerke
Default Title