Market House, Tetbury

Market House, Tetbury

John
Description
Grade 1 Listed Building. Splendid construction of 1655 and the focal point in the town centre of Tetbury. Stone, roughcast, seven by two bays, supported on three rows of bulging stone Tuscan pillars. Cotswold style hoodmoulds over windows and doors. Originally three storeys high - habitable attic, over meeting hall. over open market area. Building enlarged 1740, and extensively remodelled in 1816-17 by William Porter, who replaced the high gables with a hipped roof that incorporates a central valley arrangement. The periphery of the roof has central, gabled, pediments on three sides. Two of the pediments each contain a clock while the third pediment features a circular stone recess. William Porter also added the belfry cupola which has three bells and a weathervane flying a pair of gilded dolphins. The north end is Mid 17th C, with two stone arches, diminishing pilasters, and cornice. Angle buttresses strengthen this end of the building. A broad external stone staircase at the south end leads up to an intermediate level landing serving the First Floor meeting rooms. The building was designed as the 'Great Tolsey' for the sale of wool and yarn. The hall is administered by the Feoffees, a feudal society dating from 1632. #building #Tetbury
Category
Default Title