The St. Walburgis church In Arnhem was first mentioned in historical papers in a.d. 893. It is the oldest church in Arnhem. It was placed near the defense wall Arnhem had and maybe even incorporated in the wall.
The church was used as ammunition storage and even a jail. In 1851 the church underwent a major reconstruction which changed the looks of the church. During Operation Market-Garden the building burned out totally and the south tower was hit
by a low flying German Focke-Wulff. The tower tumbled down into the nave and destroyed the south part of the nave. The plane crashed just behind the church in the pond of the park. After the war only the burned out and bullet holed walls were left standing.
in 1947 the church was rebuilt as it was in the 14th century. In the summer of 1950 the towers were replaced and the building restored. #893_ad #arnhem #church #gelderland #holland #the_netherlands