St. Tryphon's Cathedral is certainly the most beautiful and the most significant church monument in the town. It was built and consecrated in 1166. The earthquakes considerably changed the original looks of the cathedral. The Romanesque bell towers were replaced with the new ones made in Baroque style, as well as the dome, and pilasters were covered in Korcula stone tiles. Which attracts special attention are the rosettes on the facade which used to be of Romanesque style, but today they are profiled with Gothic-Renaissance motifs.
St. Tryphon's Cathedral possesses a treasury rich in paintings, among which are the works of local painters - Lovro Marinov Dobricevic from the 15th centuryand Tripo Kokolja from the 17th century, as well as some works of foreign masters - Paolo Veronese, Gerolemo Di Santa Croce, to name but a few. The cathedral storesa rich collection of golden relics, which are the works of art of Kotor goldsmiths, from the period between the 14th and 18th centuries, the most precious among them being the golden plate of the main altar. The interior of the cathedral was fresco-painted - the work of art of Greek masters - pictores graeci. The most significant part of the interior decoration of the cathedral is the Romanesque-Gothic ciborium from the 14th century, which is located above the main altar.
Source: http://www.kotormontenegro.net/kotor_churches.php #bazilika #boka #Cathedral #church #crkva #crna_gora #katedrala #kotor #montenegro #saint #tripun #tryphon