Catoosa County's courthouse was built in 1939, the same year as its counterpart in Troup County; however, the two buildings are quite different. While the Stripped Classical style of Troup County was favored among New Deal courthouse architects, many also approved of Colonial-era designs. Catoosa was one of several Georgia counties to build a Colonial Revival courthouse in the 1930s. The style was inspired, of course, by the Georgian architecture of early America. Almost always built of red brick, these courthouses are frequently accented by corner quoins and fanlighted doorways or windows. Entrances are emphasized with elaborate pediments and well-ornamented door frames. Catoosa's courthouse, designed by architects Crutchfield and Law, is a fine example. The county's first courthouse, a three-story brick building erected on this site in 1856, may have survived the Civil War because the top floor housed a Masonic hall. According to local accounts, some of the invading Federal troops were Masons who declined to burn the meeting hall of their fellows. The old courthouse stood until the present structure was erected.