St. Vladimir's Ukrainian Greek Orthodox Church
(Built: 1934 Restored to: 1934)
This church's large open dome and distinct cross-shaped floor plan are typical features of traditional churches in Ukraine. When the Ukrainian immigrants first settled in east central Alberta, the churches that they constructed were much simpler in style. By the 1920s, it became possible to build churches that were closer in appearance to those in the Old Country. However, this church, built in Vegreville, had seating for its parishioners, a departure from the tradition of standing. Eventually, seating became accepted in Ukrainian churches throughout Canada. The interior of this church contains the paintings of Vadym Dobrolige.
http://tapor.ualberta.ca/heritagevillage/townsite/42/index.php #Alberta #Edmonton #Historic #UCHV