Felts Field Airport Terminal, Spokane Washington

Felts Field Airport Terminal, Spokane Washington

Ron Hall 76
Description
Felts Field, established in Spokane, Washington, in 1926, was the Inland Northwest's first airport and one of the oldest Federally designated airports in the nation. It served as the region's principal commercial and military airport through the 1940s and was the location of the region's first National Guard Air Unit. The 1932 Terminal Building also reflects the streamlined motifs of the Art Deco period, and a bas-relief molding of Pegasus ornaments the central entry. The terminal reflects the growth in commercial aviation during this period and originally housed United Airlines offices (which began operating here in 1931), ticket and waiting areas, as well as the weather bureau. The dramatic moderne clock tower was constructed in 1939 as a memorial to pilot Lt. Mamer and nine others killed in a commercial airplane crash the previous year. The model includes the historic neon Chevron fuel sign. The airfield continues to provide charter services and flight instruction. In 1968 a new control tower was added. The Skyway Café, attached to the Terminal Building, is a popular place to enjoy a meal while watching the planes landing and taking off. This building is part of the Felts Field National Historic District. #air_national_guard #air_terminal #airport #historic_landmark #Spokane
Default Title