Bateman's tower was built in 1883 by John Bateman as a folly for his daughter to recuperate from consumption. The tower is sited on Westmarsh point at the entrance to Brightlingsea Creek on the River Colne, and is often mistaken for a Martello Tower. During The Second World War the original roof of the folly was removed so that the tower could be used as an observation post by the Royal Observer Corps. In 2005, a restoration project funded by The Heritage Lottery Fund took place to restore the tower to its original condition, including the fitting of a replica of the original roof, refurbishing the interior of the tower and also painting the outside.
The tower is now used by many local sailing organizations to administer races. During race days, the public can visit the tower, whose new roof makes it a popular gallery from which to watch races.
Bateman's Tower is leaning slightly. #Batemans_tower_brightlingsea