Stephen Brown had the house built at 9 School Street in 1835. The surviving quadristyle Doric temple front and roof cupola are original features. The property preserves something of the character of an estate maintaining an empty lot to the north. Before Brown Aaron Wright a tailor owned the lot. After Brown the building was home to Professor O.P. Hubbard the Rev. Dr. John Richards the Rev. Henry Wood by 1855 Deacon B. W. Hale Freeman Bibby Professor John H. Wright and Dr. William Smith by 1905. Smith is listed in city directories of 1907 as having a coachman and domestic servant living on the property as well. The Phi Kappa Psi Fraternity bought the house from Smith's estate early in the century. The fraternity had begun as the 1895 Beta Psi located in the Davison Block and became a chapter of the national Phi Kappa Psi in 1896. The fraternity built the large addition on the north side of the house during the 1920s. Phi Kappa Psi became the local Phi Sigma Psi in 1967 later changed into a co-educational group and later became the first Undergraduate Society c.1992 under the name Panarchy. (Source: Scott Meacham "Notes toward a Catalog of the Buildings and Landscapes of Dartmouth College " Dartmo.: The Buildings of Dartmouth College (updated 2001) at Modeled by Jessica Glago and Dave Heinicke
Default Title