Church of the Holy Mother of God

Church of the Holy Mother of God

rm X.
Description
The Church of the Holy Mother of God is a Bulgarian National Revival church in Bulgaria's second largest city Plovdiv. The church is situated in the Old town of Plovdiv on one of the city's seven hills, Nebet Tepe. A small church existed on that place since the 9th century. The church was renovated in 1186 by the bishop of Plovdiv Constantine Pantehi and it became part of a monastery. Both the church and the monastery were destroyed when the Ottoman Turks conquered the city in 1371 during the course of the Bulgarian-Ottoman Wars. The current edifice was constructed in 1844 as the main church of the city. The iconosthasis was made by carvers from Bulgarian School of Debar. Most of the church's icons were created by the painter Nikola of Odrin. In 1881, three years after the Liberation of Bulgaria the architect Josef Schnitter constructed a three-story domed belfry near the western entrance of the church. On the belfry there is an inscription which reads "In memory of the liberators" as gratitude of the citizens to the Russian soldiers who liberated the city on 4 January 1878. #ancient #balkan #basilica #belfry #bulgaria #cathedral #christian #church #cross #gallery #glass #museum #old #orthodox #plovdiv #religion #stair #stone #tail #temple #tower #town #tree #wall #window #worship
Default Title