Egeskov Castle was built by Frands Brockenhuus and was completed in 1554 in the middle of a lake on a foundation of oak pilings, according to legend, in such quantities that "it took an oak forest to do it". The castle was built for defence purposes. It consists of two long houses connected by a thick double wall - the first house could be abandoned and the fight continued from the second house. The double wall is so thick, it contains hidden stairs and a well to secure a water supply during a siege. In the more than 400 years that have passed since it was built, various families have lived in the castle. In 1784, Egeskov was sold to Henrik Bille whose descendants have owned the castle ever since. In 1883, Julius Ahlefeldt-Laurvig-Bille moved into Egeskov and, during his time at the castle, it was restored by Helgo Zettervall, a Swedish architect, who also made the tower roofs higher, re-established the corbie gables and built the gatehouse you pass through when visiting the castle. During this period, the castle was developed into an up-to-date model farm with its own dairy, power station and railway track to. The park has been open to the public for several generations and has remained unchanged since 1959 when restoration of the historic grounds commenced.