Banners in George Square, Glasgow

Banners in George Square, Glasgow

stephen dunlop
George Square is the main square in the city of Glasgow, Scotland. Named after King George III, George Square was laid out in 1781, part of the central grid plan that initially spanned from Stockwell Street east to Buchanan Street. For the first few years it was little more than a muddy hollow, filled with dirty water and used for slaughtering horses. Between 1787 and the 1820s, the square was eventually opened up and lined with Georgian townhouses at its east and west ends, as well as hotels. By 1850 the surrounding area had become a centre for mercantile activity, with the Merchants House moving to the square in 1877, and the square itself, which had been developed into a private garden for the surrounding townhouses, became an established public space, after frequent disturbances and pulling down of railings by a disgruntled mob.This model contains the banners in the square. #glasgow #great_britain #scotland #united_kingdom
Default Title