St. Paul's Cathedral, Dunedin

St. Paul's Cathedral, Dunedin

Daniel G.
St Paul's Cathedral is the mother church of the Anglican Diocese of Dunedin, in New Zealand and the seat of the Bishop of Dunedin. The first parish church of St Paul was built on the site in 1862-1863. It was made of Caversham stone and could accommodate up to 500 people. Unfortunately it wasn't well constructed. The stone weathered badly and the tall spire was removed after just a few years. The man consecrated to be the first Bishop of Dunedin, but never enthroned, Bishop Henry Lascelles Jenner, visited the Diocese in 1869. He officiated at St Paul’s and gave a lecture on church music illustrated by the St Paul’s choir. He is remembered as the composer of the hymn tune Quam dilecta. #1860s #catedral #church #Denoall #Dunedin #iglesia #new_zeland #st_Pauls_Cathedral
Default Title