This building was purchased by Henry Shaw shortly after it was built as a real estate investment and is one of the oldest buildings in the Landing. Constructed of handsome brick with heavy timber mill lining the interior, it has nicely designed stone trim with a rich cornice. One interesting interior aspect of the building is the 16 foot high, central load bearing partition, constructed of brick with wide arched openings. Today it’s the home of a restaurant and bar and several office tenants. Because the building was willed to Washington University with the stipulation that it never be sold, it required a court hearing to set aside the will and allow the owner to purchase the building.
Built in 1860.