Grimsby Dock Tower is a famous maritime landmark in North East Lincolnshire, England. It was completed on 27th March, 1852 with the purpose of containing a 30,000 UK gallon (136 m³) hydraulic wrought iron reservoir at a height of 200 feet (61 m), to provide hydraulic power (rather than a supply of water) to the lock gates and cranes of Grimsby Docks. The extreme height of the tower was necessary to achieve sufficient pressure. Water towers for water supply purposes don't need anything approaching this height.
The tower was designed by J. W. Wild and was based around the design of the Palazzo Pubblico in Siena and therefore, is closely related to the tower of Birmingham University (UK). It was built under the supervision of J. M. Rendel, who was the civil engineer in charge of construction of the Royal Dock. #Cleethorpes #Dock #Grimsby #Humber #Lincolnshire #Tower