Glasgow Film Theatre - Independent art-house cinema.
Opened in May 1939, the Cosmo cinema was the first purpose-built 'art-house' cinema to open outside of London. This 850-seater was prolific cinema architect James McKissack's final design before his death. The theatre is situated in a 'B' listed modernist European building with a post art deco interior. The building's design was influenced by the Dutch Modernist architect Willem Marinus Dudok
The opening screening was of Julien Duvivier’s 'Un Carnet de Bal' (1937)
It was renamed The Glasgow Film Theatre in May 1974, and the opening film then was Federico Fellini’s 'Roma' (1972). #B_listed #arthouse #cinema #glasgow #Scotland