Hurricane Hill Monument

Hurricane Hill Monument

Creating Hartford
The Hurricane Forest Wildlife Refuge contains 142 acres of protected forest, Multiple Streams and Brookes as well as a pristine reservoir. Winsor and Bertha Brown donated the area to the town of Hartford in 1973. Trails have been built by volunteers, including the Boy Scouts and the Vermont Youth Conservation Corps, and are maintained by a dedicated volunteer group. Although this park takes its name from a hurricane that struck the area in the late 1700s, there is ample evidence of the effects of a more recent occurrence: the hurricane of September 21, 1938 toppled many old-growth white pine trees whose giant trunks remain today. There are other areas with enormous ancient trees still standing, including White Pine and Red Oak. Also among the many acres rests a delicate vernal pool. This monument was built in dedication to the Browns. #wwwcreatinghartfordvtcom
Default Title